Educational Visit Information
The Lake District Coast Aquarium has proven over the years to be a valuable educational resource for students of all ages and abilities as well as being a fun and exciting day out! Our guided tours offer a unique experience where you can observe and engage with many different species of fish; we have over 50 different species ranging from those native to the Solway to those inhabiting warmer climates.
What it involves...
There is free coach parking on the large pay & display carpark as well as free parking for smaller coaches in our private carpark by the Adventure Playground.
Welcome at Reception
When you arrive, please make it known to a member of staff on Reception. You will then be introduced to your Aquarist(s) for the day and taken to our Wild Solway Theatre Room where your personal belongings can be left.
We offer a variety of short films that we show before beginning the tour. These range from 10 minutes to 25 minutes and are shown in our Wild Solway Theatre Room.
Explore the Aquarium
Accompanied by your aquarist, you will be guided throughout the Aquarium and given all sorts of facts and information relating to the exhibits, habitats and animals you meet throughout the aquarium. Tours usually last around 1 hour. Depending on group size, you may be asked to split into smaller groups allowing more interaction between student and aquarist during the tour.
Touch Pool Talks
Learn more about seashore life and interact with Rockpool critters and Rays in our rock pool & ray pool touch pools.
Time in the Gift Shop
Our gift shop is packed full of souvenirs to suit all ages and pockets.
Play Park & Harbour Walks
We have our “Shiver Me Timbers” adventure playpark situated near the entrance of our Wild Solway Exhibition. There are also paths that take you around the dock and marina should you wish to take your group(s) on a walk during your visit.
You are welcome to bring your own food to the aquarium which you can eat in our Wild Solway Theatre Room or during pleasant weather you are welcome to use the picnic benches that are located outside on the play park. There are also large grassy areas surrounding the park where you can enjoy a picnic.
We also have additional quizzes & activities available that can be used during your tour or after your tour should you wish to go around the Aquarium again.
- Local Schools* must be within walking distance to be eligible for Local School Rates
- One adult is admitted free for every 5 children.
- For Nursery Groups (under 3 years old) all children go free with adults paying £8.20 each.
- Our tours are only available through pre-booking.
- To avoid confusion and overcrowding we can only accommodate one school at a time so early booking is advised. A deposit is not required; however, we do ask that you pay a cancellation fee of £25 if we are not given 7 days’ notice.
- We prefer payment on the day but understand that some schools require an invoice beforehand. If this is the case please let us know during your booking phone call and we can arrange an invoice to be sent prior to your visit via email or post.